No subject

Tue Jun 4 12:17:20 MDT 2013

implementation depends on apm to power the cards (or apm is tangled up in the
card power mechanism, which makes sense: you don't want to waste battery
power on empty slots). And since the wireless cards are pcmcia...

I don't think I'm quite up to the task of figuring out what apm bios call is
GPFing during the init and somehow working around the call to it. Or figuring
out a way to force the card slot power on without apm and convince the pcmcia
drivers that they really don't care about talking to apm after all. (Been
about 17 years since I worked on device driver level code, and I'm way rusty
and don't know the modern debugging tools.)

I subscribed to the apmd-list, and have seen other reports about the gpf, so
maybe it will get fixed one of these days. I suspect it may be a case of the
Linux code trying to follow the official specs and standards and Dell (and
Windows) not bothering to.