[lug] OTP

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Wed Jun 12 12:15:20 MDT 2013

don't know if cheap laptops have them but my work laptop definitely has a
smart card reader. I don't know if standard on "business" systems. I think
I've also seen desktop keyboards with smart card readers.

(Remember when the cheap PCs always came with modems instead of network
cards and the droids in the store didn't understand why any home user would
want the latter?)

The thing about smart cards is that they're flexible - my ID badge is a
smart card that lets me onto the VPN, that allows me read encrypted mail
containing sensitive things like email, and even lets me in and out of the
office. (You have to badge out.) You can't do that with a USB dongle - it's
too small.

Bear