[lug] question on fading color on laser printer...

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Sun Aug 4 21:18:41 MDT 2013

Toner is really a thermal plastic...can be melted...and held to the paper with static before being melted in with the fuser. Hit it with the laser to generate static, pass it over a toner powder and get it stuck there...then roll it over a very hot roller. Fusers are not unlimited life. If the failure is along a particular location left/right as it rolls, likely the fuser needs replacement. If it is just the one color of toner, then it would be "something else". Is the issue all magenta in all locations? Or does it follow a physical pattern of streaking as it rolls through the printer? If the failure is a streak as it rolls, I'd try a new fuser.