[lug] email client

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 08:40:21 MDT 2013

Let me resume the email client conversation once again (it's no secret
that the last roll of new gmail "features" is the trigger).

I intend to try http://www.mailpile.is/ open source (g)mail
replacement (note that among the devs there's a former Google
employee). Code on https://github.com/pagekite/Mailpile
I plan to report the good or bad experience at the October (?)
flash-talk session.

So why spam/tease you right now? Because there's a crowdfunding
campaign running and you might want to consider donating. If you want
to check it out before shelling out cash, you have 33 days: see
http://boingboing.net/2013/08/04/mailpile-crowdfunding-a-secur.html
and http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mailpile-taking-e-mail-back

Like Sean, I had a hell of a time searching for e-mails in Thunderbird
(and recently also in gmail). The search in tb is utterly broken:
there are 3 or 4 different ways to search and none can find the
message I intend. And that's not me using the wrong keywords: the very
same query returns exactly what I want if I use grep in the mailbox
directory. If you use tb, I recommend keeping an open shell in the
mailbox directory and use grep (as shell globbing) instead of tb
search. At least with tb we have control of our data...

Cheers,
Davide