[lug] Mailing lists/forums for embedded?

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Tue Aug 13 22:18:04 MDT 2013

I'm looking to do some serious audio crunching, along with custom USB modifications. Lots of kernel module work, plus user space audio processing. A separate project on the same platform if I can get two ethernet ports and bridge (more kernel space stuff, useful for testing). Latency is a concern, I'm looking at RTlinux on dual core or quad core.

    ----- Original Message -----  From: Michael J. Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>  To: lug at lug.boulder.co.us  Sent: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 03:47:38 -0000 (UTC)  Subject: Re: [lug] Mailing lists/forums for embedded?    On Tue, 2013-08-13 at 21:57 +0000, stimits at comcast.net wrote:  > I have a lot of questions regarding embedded development under linux.  > Do any of the people here have a recommended mailing list or forum for  > asking questions on this topic? Especially hardware questions.    eLinux.org is a good starting place.  But it would be useful to pick a  target idea and find hardware that can take to towards that idea.  For  example, if you want to monitor something and send that data to your PC,  an Arduino might be sufficient. If you want a media server that runs on  12V travel trailer power (like I'm doing with PiBox and a Raspberry Pi)  then you might look at the Raspberry Pi.  If you want a radar mounted in  the nose of a UAV you might look at a PowerPC based custom board with  lots of flash and DRAM.      "Embedded" can mean lots of things, from very tiny to very big.  If you  want to play with little, relatively inexpensive devices you can look at  some of SparkFun.com's tutorials.  They have some projects that you  could play with to get started.  But these might be less software than  hardware.  If you're more interested in the software side it's hard to  beat the $25 for a Raspberry Pi, then trying to make it have a stripped  down OS/application stack aimed at a purpose-specific application.      Oh, and another good place to start is Adafruit.com.  Lots of good  ideas, projects and things there.      Finally, you can browse my BeagleBox an PiBox "research" pages on my  wiki.  They have a number of interesting links that might help, or at  least provide some motivation.  http://www.graphics-muse.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=RaspberryPi.Research  http://www.graphics-muse.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=BeagleBox.Research    --   Michael J. Hammel     _______________________________________________  Web Page:  http://lug.boulder.co.us  Mailing List: http://lists.lug.boulder.co.us/mailman/listinfo/lug  Join us on IRC: irc.hackingsociety.org port=6667 channel=#hackingsociety