[lug] New to the group

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Mon Aug 19 09:43:55 MDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-08-19 at 08:52 -0600, Davide Del Vento wrote:

> Welcome.
>
> > When it comes to the distro's of Linux I know Glenn suggested Debian as a
> > good one but is it newbie friendly?
>
> I recommend Linux Mint Debian Edition, for short: LMDE. Cool as
> Debian, easy as Ubuntu, without the un-Linux twist of the Canonical
> strange names (UbuntuOne, Unity, etc).

I'll second this.  We use it at the RMSEL school in Denver and it's got
a much more attractive, polished appearance than Ubuntu's ugly
purple-brown-orange whatever mess.

Presentation when you're trying to learn something new can be very
important.  It can give that extra incentive to believe in something as
useful and rewarding, worth the challenges.

--
Maxwell Spangler
Linux System Administration / Virtualization / Development / Computing