[lug] New to the group

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Mon Aug 19 14:59:46 MDT 2013

Installing Linux is probably the least interesting thing to do. Not "least
interesting" as in "boring", but "least interesting" as in the thing least
likely to teach you anything at all useful elsewhere. Fortunately as you
said it's a lot less painful than it used to be but it still takes a lot of
time to go from a boot CD and blank hard disk to something useful to the
average person.

I think I missed a question/answer earlier - what does he want to do with
Linux at this time? I know most of us learned from the metal up but I think
someone coming in today would want to go the other way.  E.g.,

1. Here's an image with wordpress installed, or some other common app. Add
and remove accounts, install extensions, perform an update.

2. Now here's an image with a working database and web server - install
wordpress.

3. Now here's an image without a working database and/or web server.
Install them and then install wordpress.

4. Ditto with a few other common apps, then set up the apps to use HTTPS,
etc.

You'll still end up learning sysadmin skills but I think it's a lot more
productive to work down than to work up - a "wordpress administrator" is
still a useful standalone skill. It takes a lot more study to learn what
you need for an introductory sysadmin cert and even then how many places
are going to trust him with anything other than 'help desk' type work?

Bear