[lug] UPS Recommendation

Stephen Queen svqueen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 07:50:28 MDT 2013

A lot of times, if you buy a SLA battery from a retailer, they have sat on
the shelf for a long period of time, in a discharged state. This greatly
shortens the life of the battery. When purchasing a battery from a
retailer, try to judge how long it has been on the shelf. Sometimes
batteries have some sort of discernible date code on them. Try to check the
state of charge with a multimeter. A fully charged battery should be just
above 13V. (This is not entirely accurate, but what can you do in a store.)
If it is below 12V, try another battery, especially if you judge it to be
older than you would like.

I always put a date on a battery when I install it. I even do this with
primary cells, like in smoke detectors. Time passes for a battery pretty
quickly. You think its been 2 years, and it turns out to be 4.

Steve