[lug] UPS Recommendation

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 08:57:50 MDT 2013

One note on the Werker brand from batteries plus is that their quality
seems to vary widely. The explanation I got from an employee (after a spate
of bad batteries) is that B+ doesn't have any standing ODM or OEM
relationships with manufacturers. They pretty much just troll the open bulk
market for unbranded batteries then brands and sells them. Sometimes they
are from good quality manufacturers (like Yuasa) and are quite a bargain,
sometimes they are pretty shoddy.

Of course this is all hearsay, but it's consistent with the experiences
I've had with them over the years replacing many many batteries with
them. If you happen to hit a store when they've just restocked you can
sometimes see that the "same" battery on the shelf is obviously different
in appearance, which also lends credence to the story.

QH