[lug] web site advice needed

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Sun Sep 1 15:49:11 MDT 2013

On Sun, 1 Sep 2013 14:58:56 -0600
Robert Racansky wrote:

> Are there any recommendations for blog and forum software that I should
> use?

Are there any packages which your web hosting company supports? Wordpress
is very easy for blogging, particularly if you're able to just go to your
cPanel (or whatever they use) and click the Wordpress button.

Same thing for forum software. The one I see most used is Simple Machines
Forum.

But there are other considerations. For example, do you want a single
sign-on for the blog and the forum? There are plugins for Wordpress to do
a forum.

Hmm, I note that http://arduino.cc/ has a SMF forum and Wordpress blog
with single sing-on.

Were I to return to blogging, I'd be looking very much at Octopress, but
I suspect that wouldn't fit for most people. And it's something you'd
have to decide on first, and then look for a host providing git.