[lug] web site advice needed

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 20:34:54 MDT 2013

On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 8:09 PM, Jed S. Baer <blug at jbaer.cotse.net> wrote:
> they'll likely be
> patched quickly, updates should be pretty painless.

As one who had done wordpress (and then drupal) having plenty of
experience with Linux but no experience with a server (at the time),
I'd argue with the "pretty painless". I'd call it "feasible, with a
large, but reasonable amount of time and effort, and with a sense of
urgency (can't delay updates: some MUST be done asap, or you'll get
hacked -- guaranteed)".
Don't expect your website to have high availability, since it will be
down more often than you'd like. Don't expect it not to crash should
you be slashdotted.

Should I do this now, I'd either use wordpress.com or blogger (the
latter can show your own URL), or even better use a static site
generator (but of course you can't do a forum in that way).