[lug] speaking of wordpress : hosting recs

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Tue Sep 3 16:13:10 MDT 2013

On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 14:48:16 -0700 (PDT)
karl horlen wrote:

> 4) i believe wordpress org or com itself might handle hosting of the
> type i'm talking about and it might even be free  which might just
> simply nip this thing in the bud.  but if i go that route (or something
> like blogger.com.. which i'm not sure is wordpress but some google cms
> platform), can i seamlessly point my domain via dns to my site on these
> services so that it looks like a stand alone domain / webiste and not
> like a jackass child of the service with the parent domain name
> embedded in the url?

Google bought Blogger from Pyra labs quite a while ago. It isn't
WordPress.

You'd think they'd mention it at http://en.wordpress.com/features/ -- but
the implication is that yes, you can point your domain there:
"TIME, CNN, TED, Boing Boing, and TechCrunch are all hosted on
WordPress.com."

But you'll have to dig for it. Maybe it's a non-free extra.

Shouldn't be hard to discover: "Whether you’re searching the forums,
reading our support pages, or chatting with a Happiness Engineer, you can
always find a helping hand."

Happiness Engineer? That right there is enough to keep me away. :-P