[lug] web site advice needed

karl horlen horlenkarl at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 3 16:13:46 MDT 2013

my experience is that wordpress and drupal both give content creators the ease of an admin panel to allow them to create site content in a "relatively" seamless manner once the site is setup.

however, there is ongoing maintenance that needs to be performed once running: regular updates and backups.  so the gotcha is that the seamless user experience is never completely decoupled from the admin part of running the site.  which sort of defeats the ease of use benefits as pitched to the end user, unless of course you never do updates or backups ;)

security isn't so much of an issue if:

a) you set it up correctly in the first place (admin duties come into play)
b) you perform updates

though as someone mentioned:

c) how the site is hosted in shared environments can make security more of an issue.  in most shared enviornments there's not much you can do about this.  it's a cost benefit scenario.  if you want security you need to host yourself imho which is going to cost more money and require more time.

regarding performance:

i've found that most people often overthink performance issues.   everybody has visions of transforming the world with their websites.  most of these OSS cms's run on php and mysql (and postgres if you want it) and most shared environments can probably handle your requirements these days unless you're serving up lots of heavy (video / graphic) content or the provider sucks big time.

if and when you get some credible traffic, you can address performance at that time.

that's  just my two cents