[lug] speaking of wordpress : hosting recs

Robert Racansky robert.racansky at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 22:29:44 MDT 2013

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 10:21 PM, Robert Racansky
<robert.racansky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 3:48 PM, karl horlen <horlenkarl at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> i wanted to start a new thread related to a recent one here.
>
>> can anyone recommend any good wordpress hosting companys based on
>> experience?
>

> Anybody have experience with these guys?
>
> http://www.nouptime.com/
>
> They have hosting plans starting at $2 / month.

But on a serious note, I got this e-mail from a friend of mine  who
managed e-commerce sites on AWS at his previous job  :

What size instance are you using? Micro instances are free for the
first year. But it's not free or even all that cheap in the end. Also
it's total overkill for what you are trying to do.

Squarespace.com is what you want for your book website could have it
done in a couple of hours or maybe wordpress.com. I do this stuff
everyday and I use squarespace it's just a s*** ton easier. It scales
automatically so if you ever get a ton of traffic it just handles it,
they handle all the infrastructure and updates, and it is incredibly
easy to set up a site, has built in stats and moderation and it is
relatively cheap.

Do yourself a favor, what you're doing is like setting up an Open
Office database to index your father's periodical collection you're
wasting your time.