[lug] off-topic: wireless ip security

Jeff Sowders jsowders at tendrilinc.com
Wed Sep 4 07:16:59 MDT 2013

I have always used Axis camera's.  they are very easy to setup and you have
a version of linux on them so they are smart.   I have set them up to alert
me via email and upload a picture to an ftp site if motion was detected.

Depending on the versions you buy you will have different options.
http://www.axis.com/

Sounds like you might not deter the thieves since they didn't care about
the dogs but this will allow you to capture their image.

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 12:56 AM, Michael J. Hammel <
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org> wrote:

> We were robbed on Sunday.  Took my wife's car, among other things though
> only the dogs were home at the time (they're fine, though seem a little
> out of sorts).  While it may be too late, I'm looking for ways to
> fortify the home.  One thing I'm unfamiliar with is the current state of
> wireless IP security systems, like cameras, motion detectors,
> door/window openings, etc.  Ideally I'd like to be able to be notified
> of intrusions via my Android phone.  Building such things from scratch
> with Arduino or Raspberry Pi would be fun, but we're in a little more of
> a rush in this case.
>
> I'm not tied to Linux for this at the moment - we just need peace of
> mind for now.  Since this is off-topic please reply directly with
> suggestions, unless its a Linux camera or device. Anyone interested in
> any summaries on the topic, let me know.  I'll post what I find on my
> blog and let you know.
>
> Thanks.

Jeff Sowders
Technical Lead
Tendril Networks
mobile 865.414.4935

Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.
Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses.
The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.