[lug] off-topic: wireless ip security

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Thu Sep 5 16:10:50 MDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-09-03 at 22:56 -0600, Michael J. Hammel wrote:

> We were robbed on Sunday.  Took my wife's car, among other things though
> only the dogs were home at the time (they're fine, though seem a little
> out of sorts).

While this kind of very unfortunate event is much more rare out here
than where I'm from back east, it does happen and you should take a
moment to take note of what happened to Michael.

Recently while upgrading all my home servers for a refresh I went out of
my way to figure out how to do software raid + encryption + lvm +
filesystems as a stack.

It was the encryption part I worried would be too complex to figure out
quickly for this stack.  I hadn't heard of any friends talking about how
that should be a normal, best practice these days.  I already encrypt my
laptop and my desktop (magically setup by the Fedora installer).  In
this round of data re-organization I decided to encrypt the servers (it
was easy) and external hard drives stored elsewhere (it was easier with
these guys.)

Friends in the past waved flags at me to follow best practices like
regularly updating packages, enabling software firewalls, etc.  Those
have become natural for me and I wouldn't think of operating one of my
systems without it.  Now, I'm waving the flag at you to think about
encrypting your data.

Cheers,
--
Maxwell Spangler
Linux System Administration / Virtualization / Development / Computing