[lug] off-topic: wireless ip security

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Thu Sep 5 18:15:19 MDT 2013

This brings up two of my "I need to do this" items on my list.

First, I can get "hotel safe" safes from Costco online, or countless other
places. They aren't that expensive - $150 is typical midrange. They won't
be any good in a fire but could be good "homes" for your laptops, good
camera gear, etc. Just make sure you lock it up as you go out the door.

A somewhat connected idea is that cheap laptops and nettop boxes (with
external HDs) mean you can put a backup server ANYWHERE. Well, even these
devices put off a little heat but it's managable. Think under the stairs,
laundry room, etc. All places where nobody would ever think to look for a
computer and even if they do it's easy to build a little mesh cage around
it.

This can even tie into the original question - if you have a secured backup
server then it's an obvious place to feed the video signal. If it's a
laptop and you have a shared dataplan you could even have a live feed of
suspicious activity even if the regular phone lines and cable are cut.