[lug] Greetings

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 08:48:55 MDT 2013

I think you'll have more luck with smaller organizations. If they are
engineering-oriented at all, they likely value demonstrated proficiency and
a willingness to learn and grow over any sort of certification. The
experience "thing" might be an issue, but there are ways around that. Get
experience in any sort of support role, even if it's not Linux focused,
while you work on your Linux skills. If possible, run Linux on your
computer at work so you learn to solve Linux problems in that context.
Build a portfolio of projects you've done. Learn Chef (or Puppet) and write
a good community cookbook for it. Keep up with current developments in the
industry.

Once you've done things like that you can show that you know how to deal
with people and computers in a professional setting, and have a working
knowledge of Linux and the drive to improve on your own. That's usually
enough to get you in the door at most smaller orgs that are Linux-centric.

QH