[lug] web site advice needed

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Sep 11 09:24:39 MDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-09-11 at 08:36 -0600, Quentin Hartman wrote:
> It depends on how you have the permissions setup. The "normal" way
> these days is to have the installation writeable by the web server
> user, and it uses http via php to download the update and then
> installs over itself. That in itself introduces some risk, so the
> recommended practice is to have stuff locked down during the normal
> run of things, then relax the permissions only when you want to
> update.

Interesting.  I just checked my site and it doesn't look like the old
ftp requirements are there anymore.  I'll have to give the automated
update a try, after making appropriate backups of course.  :-)

--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org