[lug] web site advice needed

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Sep 11 20:20:08 MDT 2013

On 09/11/2013 11:59 AM, karl horlen wrote:
> sure.  i always make backups.

I have automated backups every night of every machine that has anything
remotely interesting to me, so it's not a HUGE concern to me to run a
backup right before I do my personal blog update.  It's similar if I were
to get compromised, with the Apache user being fairly effective at limiting
the extent of nasty things they usually can do (based on what we've seen).

Also, FYI, the sites we've seen get Wordpress exploits weren't ones that
had been a little lax on security updates, they were locations that hadn't
done Wordpress updates in years...

As far as updating the themes and plugins...  All the plugins and themes I
use do receive updates in the management console.  You have to apply
Wordpress and template and plugin updates separately, so it may be a few
clicks instead of just one, but it's still pretty easy.

That's as long as you are using updates gotten from the normal channels, I
would imagine, rather than custom or roll-your-own ones.

Sean