[lug] linux laptop search

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Sep 18 13:55:36 MDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-09-18 at 11:52 -0600, Simos wrote:
> FWIW, the latest ChrUbuntu script now allows you to Lubuntu, Xubuntu,
> and other variants so if your main gripe is with Unity (which I certainly
> understand) then you now have more options:

The instructions say to be in developer mode, which if you follow those
instructions don't work if you've already put ChrUbuntu on once before.
I don't know if I'm already in developer mode or not at the moment, but
suspect I am.

> http://chromeos-cr48.blogspot.com/2013/05/chrubuntu-one-script-to-rule-them-all_31.html

What it doesn't tell you here is what to do if you've already run
ChrUbuntu once before.

> Although it's more complicated, there are certainly ways to install other
> Linux distributions (such as Debian) on the Acer C7:

ChrUbuntu was enough hoops, and in the end you can't modify the kernel
using normal methods (there are special instructions for that too).
Lacking normal methods, it's hard to determine if its my kernel drivers
or the hardware causing all the network drop outs with the C7.  I spend
more time hoop-jumping than I do tracking down problems to actually fix
them.

IE secure boot stinks.

> Also: no Thinkpad recommendations?

The nice thing about thinkpads used to be the mouse stick.  The way I
type (and because I use a USB mouse) the touch pad used by most laptops
is a hindrance.  On some laptops (specifically Intel chipsets) I
couldn't turn off the touch pad cuz it wasn't a Synaptics.
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org