[lug] linux laptop search

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 15:07:57 MDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 2:55 PM, David L. Willson <DLWillson at thegeek.nu>wrote:

> If I was me in your position, I'd be shopping for something with Linux
> already on it. Late model Windows laptops almost always have some hardware
> issues with Linux, in my experience. Yeah, you'll pay a little more, but I
> know a school that needs a teacher, and would be happy to help you make up
> the difference, in exchange for a small favor. :-)

Really? What problems? I've run into very few in recent memory, and none of
it was critical hardware. The only things I can think of were a card reader
and a fingerprint reader. Even most wireless cards are supported any more.
I haven't found anything yet that couldn't be worked around. I'm not saying
it "never" happens anymore, but "almost always" seems to be overstating
things quite a bit.

QH