[lug] OT: android elevation app accuracy

William D. Knoche bill.knoche at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 10:53:35 MDT 2013

On 09/29/2013 04:48 PM, Bear Giles wrote:
> Actually I just remembered a second approach. If you can run a hose
> between two buckets of water you can use it as a level. You'll need to
> make sure that the hose is completely full so the water can freely
> flow between the buckets but other than that it's a matter of putting
> the buckets on each corner of the building and figuring out a way to
> measure the height of the water to what you're trying to check.
An improvement on this technique is to make adapters from hose threads
to 1/2" barb and a couple pieces of 1/2" clear tubing (4' for each end
is plenty).
Fill the hose from the faucet with the adapter/tubing on the male end
and run enough water to  clear the bubbles. Turn off the water and add
the adapter/tubing to the female end.
You may want to tie wrap the tubing at each end to a rigid stick to make
it easier to prop up and compare. Measure from the water level up/down
to the height of the subject. Go to the other and and measure the same
length to get the target height. Make sure the ends are open and clear
and wait for the level to settle. You should be able to get 1/16" or
better accuracy.
I use this often. It is accurate and simple. More accurate than a
transit far more accurate than a barometric altimeter, much cheaper,
much easier, direct reading and works around blind corners.
I got rid of my expensive laser level because it was far less accurate
than this simple method.