[lug] OT: android elevation app accuracy

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Mon Sep 30 11:43:52 MDT 2013

GPS elevation is less accurate than GPS position, at least for (most)
consumer-level gear. It makes sense since you usually don't care about
elevation as much as long-lat. You're on the ground. 'nuf said.

(That's also why they strongly state you shouldn't use them for aviation.)

Related question - are the mobile phone apps that will do the averaging for
you? Just put the phone on a table outside for a few hours and get a much
more accurate position. (I Know survey equipment can do this.)

I've accidently left my GPS watch recording after a run and it's fun to
look at the starburst as the calculated position roams around.