[lug] Resolved: Re: Dropped packet question

Chip Atkinson chip at pupman.com
Mon Sep 30 12:00:15 MDT 2013

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help last week.  I spent a few hours working on the
problem yesterday and believe that it's now fixed.  The most likely cause
was a cable.  After replacing that particular one, the problems started
drying up.  Granted it could have been something else and part of me wants
to put the suspect cable back in, but I'm torn between moving on with my
life and validating my suspicion.

One red herring worth mentioning was that I was using ping as a diagnostic
tool against the comcast name servers.  Turns out that DNS queries went
quite quickly whereas pings were sometimes getting dropped.  It makes
sense that DNS queries would get the best QoS ratings(?).  I ended up
using dig which reports query times and they were all in the few
millisecond ranges.

Thanks again.

Chip