[lug] OT: PSU for Embedded using ATX12V v2.3?

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Thu Oct 3 17:55:31 MDT 2013

Hi,

I'm about to work on an embedded [linux] system, which in itself does not take much power. However, I'll probably be adding some USB functionality which will add to requirements...part of the time. The embedded system can work on either a regulated 12V supply, or an unregulated 7 to 24V system. However, because of PCIe and also possibly because of fans, the 12V supply is by far the better choice. The other added functionality will likely require a mix of 5V and 3.3V. A standard ATX12V supply would seem ideal, as it is low cost and has all of the required voltages with ample current. The bad part is that these are switching supplies with other requirements, such as a minimum load.

I know many of the people here work with embedded systems, what do you use for power? If you do use a basic ATX12V, what do you use to deal with minimum load requirements? If not using ATX12V, what do you use, and where would be a good place to shop for this?

Thanks!

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net