[lug] Function keys quit working

Steve Sullivan steve.sullivan at mathcom.com
Tue Oct 8 16:29:07 MDT 2013

Hi,

All my function keys quit, or got remapped somehow.
What happened?
I used to be able to map them to vim actions, but
now after a recent update/upgrade they don't work at all.

Except now f12 takes a screen shot, leaving a file in
my home dir with a name like
  Screenshot from 2013-10-08 16:04:40.png

I'm running linux mint 15 cinnamon on an old dell laptop.

I checked preferences / keyboard / shortcuts, and the various
screenshot shortcuts are all print, alt+print, shift+print,
etc... nothing mentioning f12.

I tried running
  /lib/udev/findkeyboards
  /lib/udev/keymap -i input/event6

The output is a bit flakey but prints scan codes for
the alphabetic keys, but nothing for the function keys.

I tried creating a new user account, in case
I foobared my X11 settings, but the new user
account has the same troubles.

How can I get the function keys back?

Thanks,

Steve