[lug] BLUG Meeting Announcement 2013-10-10

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Thu Oct 10 22:21:29 MDT 2013

Thanks to Pete Siemsen for his talk on his pLookup (Pete's lookup) tool at NCAR.  Looks fun!  Simple quick interface!
Too bad it's not available as open source (yet?).

  http://nets.ucar.edu/nets/pLookup-help.shtml

It reminded me of some handy, extensible, open source stuff in the Linux world that I couldn't think of on the spot.  But one of them is Gnome Do:

 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME_Do

Ubuntu Unity's DASH and HUD (Head's Up Display) seem to be headed in that direction also, and also haven't gotten quite the usage and mindshare that they deserve.  But they are tool slow, at least in my experience.

And there are some others that don't quite come to mind.

Cheers,

Neal McBurnett                 http://neal.mcburnett.org/