[lug] linux laptop search

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Sun Oct 13 14:05:56 MDT 2013

A followup to this discussion that I started back in September.

I ended up ordering an Acer Aspire V5 from NewEgg.
It's
* quad core
* 3.1GHz
* Radeon 8550G w/HDMI
* 15.6" display
* 6GB memory
* 500GB HD
* 802.11 a/g/n + wired eth
* USB 2.0/3.0
* SD card reader

Fedora 19 works out of the box on everything so far.  ATI's driver
supports it fine including compositing functions.  It connects fine to
an 802.11 n router at home.

My big fear of secure boot was a non-issue.  You just go into BIOS on
first boot and disable it.  I think I Google'd how to do it - lots
happened since then so don't remember the details.  Then I installed
with a USB stick (no DVD on this one).  Works great.  Win8 never saw the
light of day.

Just thought I'd pass that along.
--
Michael J. Hammel