[lug] Using Loopback for /boot?

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 13:41:30 MDT 2013

Unless I have a strong reason not to, I do all my Linux installs on single
partitions. Strong reasons include:

- Multi-boot machine with another distro/os
- Using LVM and /or encryption (or some other FS tech) that requires
multiple partitions to behave correctly
- Hardware constraints on available storage devices.

I agree with the sentiment that the "many-partitions" approach is a
hold-over from the days where it would be reasonable to assume that a
single system image would need to span many independent disks that might be
filled and/or upgraded individually over time. That's just not the case
anymore. Even on large high performance servers the split is rarely more
complex than "system/data".

Since we're talking about partitions, One thing that is a good practice
that many people don't think of is if you are using large partitions with
the EXT* filesystems is to make sure you reduce the amount reserved for
root. On a 1TB disk, the default settings would set aside 50GB, which is
just silly.