[lug] SElinux Relabel

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Wed Oct 23 18:27:49 MDT 2013

Ok, so I did a new install of fedora 19 on an unused 300 GB partition, putting everything there. It updated the bootloader, and the old windows 7 and the new fedora 19 work fine. No partitions were touched in any way other than sharing the old swap partition on the fedora 16, but I never use any of the hibernate style functions, ever. Swap should be 100% independent.

When I go to boot the fedora 16, it appears to be fine. It even gets to the X11 login screen (I happen to use KDM and KDE) just as it always would. Only no user can log in, and it says there is some critical error and see the KDM logs. If I go to a text console, it says nothing at all, and no user can actually log in...enter the name, the password, and when the enter key is hit, it just goes silently back to the login screen.

So I boot up in rescue mode, and see that some services related to login are failing because SElinux is refusing, and needs some sort of relabel. What I'm wondering is what I can do to relabel the fedora 16 partition from fedora 19 or from a rescue disk? If I accidentally mess up the fedora 19 I'll only have windows for login, but my work is on linux. Right now I can at least copy over files from the old fedora 16 to the fedora 19, although I'm wondering what the heck is going on that the fedora 19 install changed fedora 16 labels? I had the fedora 16 partitions mounted on some /usr/local/old/ subdirectories (one for /boot and one for /), so I'm wondering if perhaps the fedora 19 install has a bug that relabels mounted partitions which already had labels and which already had a file system? I have verified that it followed my instructions to NOT reformat, everything is still there.