[lug] Comparing Clouds; A trivial test.

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Mon Oct 28 14:16:18 MDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-10-28 at 10:40 -0600, David L. Anselmi wrote:

> Maxwell Spangler wrote:
> > I spent some time working with Amazon, Rackspace and Google Compute
> > Engine clouds this week in order to port a little Linux script I'm
> > working on.
>
> Does AWS taking 8x as long mean it costs 8x more to do your test?

Yes?

The first observation of my test is that it takes about an hour more to
run the test in a Rackspace VM than on my local system.  That could be
attributed to other activity on the Rackspace host (likely) or slower
hardware.  Noting the difference in quality between a developer's system
or test bed and production systems has always been an issue for IT
staff, so I found this interesting, but I was satisfied with the
Rackspace results.

I think Quentin's data points on the expected quality of Amazon's lowest
tier VMs shows the sophistication and complexity of Amazon AWS compared
to more basic cloud systems.  IOW, Rackspace may not have the ability to
offer a low size and low quality tier, so they offer low size and
"normal" quality.  While a minimum Rackspace system might be faster for
this kind of test compared to a minimum size+tier AWS system, a better
understanding of the tiers should provide the same results.  Then, you
get to compare prices and features and see who you might choose in a
real application.

Cheers

--
Maxwell Spangler
Linux System Administration / Virtualization / Development / Computing