[lug] Fedora SRPM Practices

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Nov 5 13:10:58 MST 2013

On Tue, 5 Nov 2013 19:54:51 +0000 (UTC)
stimits at comcast.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm tracing what looks like a mismatch of header file content from
> actual library in a fedora 19 glfw and glfw-devel package set. I'm in
> the process of looking at the actual .src.rpm file,
> glfw-3.0-0.18.20130517git673d5b5.fc19.src.rpm.
>
> If I "install" this SRPM as a non-root user, using rpm -i, I see this:
> warning: user mockbuild does not exist - using root
> warning: group mockbuild does not exist - using root
> warning: user mockbuild does not exist - using root
> warning: group mockbuild does not exist - using root
>
> I looked up more on mockbuild, and there is a package "mock" which
> supports the srpm build, and check to see that I already have it
> installed. So the package for "mock" does not actually create any
> user "mockbuild" or group, etc.  I do have in my non-root user's home
> ~/rpmbuild/* with the glfw files.
>
> So my question is, for those who commonly work on SRPMs, do you
> create a user "mockbuild"? Would it change the rebuild of RPMs by
> having this devel user added?

Shouldn't matter much, no.

mock is a 'cleaner' way to build things because it builds in a newly
created chroot so you can be sure nothing 'extra' on your machine is
changing the build. The above messages tho are just caused by src.rpms
that are also built in mock... if you don't have the mockbuild user it
will have the files owned by you. (the user that unpacked it).

kevin