[lug] is there a way to get partition table on running system?

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Fri Nov 8 17:07:14 MST 2013

Not that I can do anything to actually help, but I do wonder how things have changed with UEFI and alternative boot systems from the original 512 byte MBR. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Master_Boot_Record

It used to be that if you had those first 512 bytes backed up with dd you could restore it...provided nothing had changed on the disk since then (possibly changes to the disk in places not at the boundary of partitions would be tolerated). UEFI and disk labels seem to have changed things. Seems like back in the pure MBR scheme with 512 bytes there was a backup or shadow MBR which the disk itself could use if it had to remap due to a bad block, though I don't recall where that was.

The latter of the above web links indicates that the actual partition record starts after byte 446 of the 512 bytes...part of the reason why only 4 primary partitions could be used.