[lug] RHEL6 USB and network issue

Steven Hart steven.hart at Colorado.EDU
Mon Nov 11 15:55:13 MST 2013

Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
OS = RHEL 6 workstation 64 bit

PROBLEM 1:  When I have the USB keyboard and mouse plugged into any USB2
port, they do not work and RHEL6 says:

device descriptor read/64, error -32

When I plug the keyboard into the USB3 slot, it works normally.  I need
the USB2 ports to work.  I get the same thing when I try a USB flash
drive as well.

PROBLEM 2: I can't get the on-board NIC to work.  I have the network
settings set manually and correctly as they work on my other 55 RHEL6
clients for my subnet.  ifconfig shows the correct IP but no packets
visible.  ethtool sees a link connected, that it's gig speed, and that
it's full duplex.  That being said, you can't ping the system and the
system can't ping out.

I usually have very good luck with Gigabyte motherboards right out of
the box with RHEL6 but this one is pissing me off.  I have a feeling
it's a setting in the BIOS but I've tried the optimized defaults as well
as just using the legacy settings instead of the UEFI settings.

Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Steve
--
Steve Hart