[lug] RHEL6 USB and network issue

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Mon Nov 11 17:16:10 MST 2013

On this motherboard, the AMD SB950 chip provides USB 2.0/1.1 ports and
two separate Etron EJ168 chips provide USB3.0/2.0 ports.

Your problem could be the RHEL 6 kernel's drivers putting the AMD USB2
ports into suspend mode.  It's probably not doing so on the Etron ports
which makes the Etron ports work while the AMD ports don't.  If you boot
into BIOS and the USB2 ports that further suggests the hardware works
but that it's the kernel driver that is the source of your problems.

If you execute this

# while :; do lsusb -v > /dev/null; done

Do the USB2 keyboard and mouse peripherals work properly?

What does

# cat /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/autosuspend

return?

If the loop above resolves your problem, boot with a kernel or module
option to disable the usbcore autosupend function and things should work
better.

If not, tell us more.

Cheers,

On Mon, 2013-11-11 at 16:37 -0700, Steven Hart wrote:

> Another oddity is that when the keyboard and mouse are plugged into
> USB2 ports, they work fine in the system BIOS and on the grub screen.
> Once booted into the OS (even single user) I get the above message and
> they stop working.
>
> Cheers
>
> Steve
>

> On 11/11/2013 03:55 PM, Steven Hart wrote:
>

> > Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
> > OS = RHEL 6 workstation 64 bit
> >
> > PROBLEM 1:  When I have the USB keyboard and mouse plugged into any
> > USB2 port, they do not work and RHEL6 says:
> >
> > device descriptor read/64, error -32
> >
> > When I plug the keyboard into the USB3 slot, it works normally.  I
> > need the USB2 ports to work.  I get the same thing when I try a USB
> > flash drive as well.
> >
> > PROBLEM 2: I can't get the on-board NIC to work.  I have the network
> > settings set manually and correctly as they work on my other 55
> > RHEL6 clients for my subnet.  ifconfig shows the correct IP but no
> > packets visible.  ethtool sees a link connected, that it's gig
> > speed, and that it's full duplex.  That being said, you can't ping
> > the system and the system can't ping out.
> >
> > I usually have very good luck with Gigabyte motherboards right out
> > of the box with RHEL6 but this one is pissing me off.  I have a
> > feeling it's a setting in the BIOS but I've tried the optimized
> > defaults as well as just using the legacy settings instead of the
> > UEFI settings.
> >
> > Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Steve
> >
> > --
> > Steve Hart
> > Systems Administrator
> > Colorado Center for Astrodynamics Research
> > University of Colorado Boulder
> > Steven.Hart at colorado.edu
> > (303)492-8109

> > Join us on IRC: irc.hackingsociety.org port=6667 channel=#hackingsociety
>

> --
> Steve Hart
> Systems Administrator
> Colorado Center for Astrodynamics Research
> University of Colorado Boulder
> Steven.Hart at colorado.edu
> (303)492-8109

Maxwell Spangler
Linux System Administration / Virtualization / Development / Computing
Services
Photography / Graphics Design / Writing
Fort Collins, Colorado
http://www.maxwellspangler.com