[lug] RHEL6 USB and network issue

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Wed Nov 13 07:13:34 MST 2013

> I'd try disabling the autosuspend at this point:> > # echo -1 > /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/autosuspend>
> And reboot.

I'm trying to get used to the newer system config setup that depends on "/sys" rather than "/proc", as well as understanding more about the USB setup (I'm using fedora 19 for my particular flavor). The /proc config files have always been in ram as reflections of kernel state, and any changes echoed into them lost with reboot. Thus the old /etc/sysctl.conf, is now defunct, but it remains true that echo to either a /sys file or a /proc file will be lost on reboot.

So I went looking around for files to edit for both the usbcore autosuspend and to enable magic sysrq keys (turns out on fedora 19 the default is only to allow disk sync, I wanted it all on). I figured magic sysrq keys were the place to start, and if I "cat /lib/sysctl.d/50-default.conf", it tells me "kernel.sysrq = 16". If I "cat /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq" I see "16". To fully enable sysrq I really need the answer to be "1". Looking on the web, it suggests adding a file to /etc/sysctl.d/, which is by default empty, and add the line "kernel.sysrq = 1". This sort of worked, and after reboot I see "1" in /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq (versus the old "16"). On the other hand, /lib/sysctl.d/50-default.conf is still showing "16". So this seems like a question for those who know the newer /sys setup, since the /lib/sysctl.d/ files differ from /proc, and I do not know where to find this in /sys...

Where do I truly want to edit to have my echo to various sys parameters and have the change survive reboots (especially on fedora, though I doubt it matters)? Would updates of various RPMs overwrite changes made to /lib/sysctl.d/* ? Does having the magic sysrq still "16" in /lib/sysctl.d/50-default.conf interfere with full magic sysrq if my "/etc/sysctl.d/sysrq.conf" file managed to update the /proc file?

Sort of a side effect of all of this, for the usb autosuspend, could I just add a file with a meaningful name like "usbcore.conf" to /etc/sysctl.d/ and provide a line in it disable the usb autosuspend? For parameters in /proc, the config line was a direct reflection of the file path within /proc, but I'm not sure what the config line would be for this...something like "module.usbcore.parameters.autosuspend = -1"? Is there an intuitive rule to figure out what a config line would be from /sys if we do not look at /proc?