[lug] Fedora 19, "storage administrators guide", NFS

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Sat Nov 30 12:54:13 MST 2013

> Go to your server and verify that nfs is running

>root at filer [~] # ps axf | grep nfs
> 5170 ?        S      0:00  \_ [nfsd4]
> 5171 ?        S      0:00  \_ [nfsd4_callbacks]
> 5172 ?        S      0:15  \_ [nfsd]
> 5173 ?        S      0:14  \_ [nfsd]
> 5174 ?        S      0:13  \_ [nfsd]
> 5175 ?        S      0:15  \_ [nfsd]
> 5176 ?        S      0:16  \_ [nfsd]
> 5177 ?        S      0:15  \_ [nfsd]
> 5178 ?        S      0:14  \_ [nfsd]
> 5179 ?        S      0:17  \_ [nfsd]
> 7511 ?        S      0:00  \_ [nfsiod]
> 7545 ?        S      0:00  \_ [nfsv4.0-svc]
> 8479 pts/0    S+     0:00                      \_ grep nfs

This one is a hit...no nfs running of any sort. I failed to realize that just
because systemctl showed nfs loaded, that nfs was still not enabled. One of
those learning curve pains for switching to the systemd way of doing things.
I know at one point after I had added the /etc/exports edits that I had tried
to enable nfs and it seemed successful, but apparently it wasn't.

> You can also check: (This is Centos/Red Hat 6.4)
>root at filer [~] # service nfs status
> rpc.svcgssd is stopped
> rpc.mountd (pid 5116) is running...
> nfsd (pid 5179 5178 5177 5176 5175 5174 5173 5172) is running...
> rpc.rquotad (pid 5112) is running...
Another thing I failed at...I was trying to do things only with systemctl, but the older "service" was still working. What was very nice is that this echoes the command it sends to systemctl.

Ok, so now I have a fedora question related to systemctl versus system. I found earlier that system-config-network was only there for backwards compatibility, and no longer needed. It also caused major headaches when it cross hard-linked Wired_1 and Wired_2 files (I updated Wired_1 and the change propagated to the Wired_2, and vice versa...those 3 hard links per Wired_ file made it incredibly painful to figure out) during a config save at the moment comcast killed the network to do an unannounced firmware update. The cure was to remove the system-config-network RPM and completely remove all config files related to it. It seems that much of the system-config-* s now deprecated. Are all of the older system-config-* fedora packages hanging around only for backwards compatibility? Can they all be erased to get a consistent system based only on the newer systemd (not that I'm brave enough to erase those other files)?