[lug] Ham Radio and Linux

William D. Knoche bill.knoche at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 14:27:01 MST 2013

I am a ham as well, General class (KD0MZJ). (do study up and move up a
class to get better access to a wider range of frequencies and modes)
Nate is a great resource. Do contact him. He is a good guy.

I use Gnote for a lot of the note taking things. I send some over Google
Docs and Dropbox when I need it on my phone or tablet, too.

I use fldigi for rig control. It does most of what I need including
logging since I almost exclusively work digital modes. Even for phone
and cw it can be a real help. Get a SignalLink USB and a rigblaster USB
(maybe need a cable for your radio) and you are all set.
The thing I use a lot is call sign lookup and for that I use qrz,com (it
helps that I shared an office for a decade with Fred who owns and runs
qrz.com).
There are some tools including fldigi that use qrz.com for call lookup
(callgit is another one). The subscription to qrz.com has worked well
for me.
twHamQth and others are useful, too.

Bottom line is that I don't do any kind of diary or journal; just too
much trouble, fldigi does all I need.

I don't do any contesting so have never looked at any of the contest log
software such as Contest, Conlogv, Roverlog, etc.

Some folks like Klog but I don't run KDE...
phpHamLog is another one that I have not tried. So is PyQSO. QTlog,
another one. YFKlog, yet more.
qle seems popular. TuxLog looks promising but I don't use it.

Let me know if I can help.

--bill