[lug] Version Control Device Special Files?

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 15:00:34 MST 2014

I don't think anything would deal well with device special files. It's just
not something they're built for. I'd think your best bet would be to tar up
the state of the special files (in /dev I assume? Things like /proc will
definitely explode any attempts to archive them) and then drop that into
the source control repo. Tar has special support for the device node info
in /dev and doesn't try to actually open the files. I would be shocked if
there were any source control system that would handle that directly with
any grace.

That said, do you really need to save the /dev and other non-files? In
modern systems (even embedded ones I've worked with) that should all get
rebuild dynamically by the kernel and whatnot. Can you safely just skip
them?

QH