[lug] WD MyCloud NAS Details

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Tue Jan 7 14:54:21 MST 2014

On Tue, 2014-01-07 at 14:28 -0700, Davide Del Vento wrote:
> Thanks for the tip.
>
> Would you expect the 2TB being exactly the same, besides capacity of
> the disks? Sometimes similar products are very different inside.

I would expect the 2, 3 and 4 TB versions to differ only in the phsyical
drive used.

> Does it have a video card or will be easy to install one? I see the
> enclosure does not have a video output, but maybe the embedded card
> does have it inside.

I don't think there is any chance of getting video on these guys.

It would really nice to investigate people hacking them and discover
that software is in place to use USB3 based video or serial converters
to provide it.  With USB based KVM that would take a way a lot of the
fear of making a change and bricking it.  But, that's not WD's focus so
I wouldn't get my hopes up.

If you're looking for a small server that can function as a NAS but has
more capability and interactivity, then one of HP's G8 Microservers
might fit well.  They have 4 drive bays, PCIe slots and even HP's really
wonderful iLO out of band, network based console KVM management.  So you
can put it in your basement and fully control it as if you were
physically in front of it.  More expensive, though.

--
Maxwell Spangler
Linux & Open Source Systems Engineer