[lug] Firewall Appliance Recommendation?

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Tue Jan 7 15:25:41 MST 2014

As part of meeting PCI DSS security requirements, I need to wall off a
single PC from the rest of its network with a firewall in order to
control inbound and outbound traffic to/from it.  I'd also like to
enable logging to some (yet undefined) extent so I can monitor things.

Over a decade ago I used Sonicwall appliances and I think something like
their current TZ 2xx series might work well.  I'd love to hear your
experiences with them or similar.

I don't want to use a PC running Linux or OpenBSD for this: the form
factor, noise and power requirements are overkill even if the solution
would be low cost and high quality.

I've thought about rigging up a Linksys router with DD-WRT, but I'd like
to know if Sonicwall offers features and ease of use which make it worth
its price.

Any comments would be appreciated!

--
Maxwell Spangler