[lug] Offer: ****load of SCSI stuff

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Sun Jan 12 21:44:38 MST 2014

The stuff in my attic is a little different than I expected and I'm still
trying to figure out what works with what (primarily to wipe media).

- I can't find my DDS tape drive. I don't think I gave it away already but
I can't find it in any of the likely places.
- but did find 2 internal TR-1/4? drives
- I can read some tapes but have problems with most, that's why I think it
may be a TR-1 drive and most of my tapes are TR-4 and that's why I get
read/write errors. I don't remember other TR drives but without it I can't
wipe the media.
- it looks like the internal drives are standard SCSI but the controller is
wide SCSI. I'm still looking for controllers to wipe them.
- the syquest drive is seen by the (ubuntu 13.10) kernel but as a 100 MB
iomega drive instead of a syquest drive and the media is recognized. That
may be a cable issue so I'm going to try to swap some things around. If I
can get it working I can wipe about 6 disks.
- oh yeah - my wife pointed out that I should include two old desktop
systems and an old laptop.

I also have a small box of things that I was going to take to a maker
meetup to see if anyone is interested. Old AC motor from a furnace fan, old
CO detector, power cord reel from a vacuum cleaner, etc. I don't know if
you want it or if it's too far outside of the computer area.

Bear