[lug] KDE won't render correctly, but GNOME does!?

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Thu Jan 16 16:34:39 MST 2014

I'm not really knowledgeable enough with regard to SElinux, but maybe it is an SElinux policy issue. There is the sealert tool to troubleshoot policies, just running it by itself may indicate something if you list all alerts. Which reminds me...perhaps tail -f of /var/log/secure during the attempt to log in might show something. I have had issues in the past installing components at a later date after system install and SElinux got in the way.

Does the /var/log/Xorg.0.log have anything at the tail of the log? I'd suggest go to a text console prior to the login attempt, and tail -f on both /var/log/messages and /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Maybe something simple like permissions on icons.

Those logs show nothing interesting.  X/KDE doesn't seem to know that anything is wrong--at least not that I could find.