[lug] redirecting into mail

stltner at indra.com stltner at indra.com
Fri Jan 31 15:34:44 MST 2014

lug at lug.boulder.co.us
redirecting into mail

                                                  January 31, 2014

It is time to ask for help.  For some time, I've had dial-in access to the
ISP, and got sent email service by typing email space and uploading the
email file with a /Address/Subject/Text/Period/ format.
A sneaky redirect into mail.

The ISP no longer supports dial-in access, so I come in via SSH and thought
I could manually redirect mail files into mail. Doing

 mail < abc.msg

does not work. Mail goes into interactive mode. Trying

  mail Address < abc.msg

with a /Subject/Text/Period/ file format kinda works. The subject is lost
and the subject line shows up in the body of the message.

So Unix/tcsh is dumping a line feed into my command line ahead of the
redirect string.

Is this a 50 year blunder that nobody documented, or is there some setup
the ISP should be using?

Thanks,

Ernie Stiltner