[lug] Answered - Re: PCI Wireless Card Needed

Lori R lightningrose at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 11:53:34 MST 2014

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 8:04 PM, Lori R <lightningrose at gmail.com> wrote:

> I need to install a pci wireless card in my desktop.
>
> Any recommendations for a card that will work with Linux out of the box?
>
> Bonus points if it's available at a big box store.

I know it's been almost a year, but now is the time to respond to my own
question.

Since May I've been using a Tenda W322P V2.0 Wireless PCI Adapter in my
desktop. It's affordable, reliable, available from Micro Center, and comes
with the Linux driver source code on CD-ROM.

The latter is a good thing as it was not supported by the Ubuntu 10.04 or
12.04 kernel and every time there is/was a kernel update I had to
re-compile/re-link the driver - no big deal, it's just a make clean, make,
make install and reboot sequence.

However, the reason I decided to respond now is that it appears to be
supported by Kubuntu 14.04, or at least the beta version running from a
flash drive.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/340327/300Mbps_Wireless_PCI_Adapter

Be warned that although the web site claims there are 10+ available at the
Denver Tech Center store there were none to be found when I was in there a
few weeks ago. This morning I ordered 2 from the web site so we shall see.

Lori Reed
http://www.lightning-rose.com/