[lug] How do I get the merge I want?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Mar 4 22:19:17 MST 2014

Jeffrey S. Haemer wrote:
> Dave,
>
>> Could you?  What would be the common ancestor?  I think git would just
>> show you a diff (granted in fancy git style, which might also be what you
>> want).
>
> Granted, but someone forgot to tell "git diff" that it wouldn't work. :-)

Ah, ok.  So again, maybe something that doesn't (generally) make sense but happens to do what you
want.  I'd guess that git uses an empty file as the common ancestor.

So diff can do what you want.  Here's an example of the roll your own format.  It doesn't quite
delimit things as-is but maybe that can be added with the group-format options.

If it were me I think I'd just learn how diff3 works (so as to be able to remember what to use for
the arguments) and use that.

Dave