[lug] Windows XP End-of-Life: April 8, 2014

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Wed Apr 9 11:54:55 MDT 2014

On 4/9/2014 10:52 AM, Dru Whitledge wrote:
> I hate Win 7 for many of the same reasons mentioned here (likely from
> long experienced users) -- big learning curve, big waste of time, big
> frustration -- for NO big benefit (no benefit I can identify).

Like Bear mentioned: Windows Vista and 7 improved bunches of stuff under
the hood. Better network protocols so that you can get more benefit from
a 20 Mbps net connection and from gigabit LAN. Better power management
for laptops. Better task scheduling for multiple CPU cores and better
handling of Hyperthreading. And of course 64-bit support.

I did run WinXP 64-bit in the past so I know XP had 64-bit support,
although in actuality it was Server 2003 64-bit with the WinXP GUI on
top. Win XP game and software compatibility was actually better with
64-bit Vista.

Although maybe I am too technical to have noticed the problem, Win XP to
Win 7 didn't seem to have a learning curve. A few small differences in
default settings and some meaningless changes to the Explorer file
management windows. And I guess you need to click a couple of extra
times to get to the network interface adapter properties.