[lug] mac mini server as 24/7 house server?

Chip Atkinson chip at pupman.com
Sat Apr 19 13:12:28 MDT 2014

Hi folks,

I'm thinking about replacing the rack and server in my house with a mac
mini with virtual box or vmware running a linux duplicate of the hardware
server that I have running at home.  The old server is an HP DL385 and is
never really taxed so I think a mac mini server would be able to handle
the duties fine.  The reason for replacing it is power consumption, noise,
and space.  My excel bills are $100+/month since I brought up the server
and a 7' rack takes up quite a bit of floor space.  Then there's the noise
which permeates the house since the only workable space for the rack is
under a heating vent, aka household speaking tube.

Anyone have any experience with mac mini servers or know of a better
option?

Thanks in advance.

Chip