[lug] large file management

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 11:24:38 MDT 2014

Sure thing. I'm using Owncloud 6 ( http://owncloud.org/six/) on a remote
server, and I usually sync via one of the clients (
http://owncloud.org/install/) though the web interface is quite useful as
well. There wasn't much to setting it up. I pretty much just installed the
packages and setup an apache vhost as directed.

The two gotchas I ran into were:
- Make sure the location it's storing data has plenty of space. By default
it just dumps files into a sub-directory of your webroot, which probably
isn't what you want.
- When upgrading from 4.x to 5.x the upgrade process trashed pretty much
everything. I had it backed up so it wasn't a big deal to install 5.x fresh
and restore data, but it was a bit of a hassle. Upgrading from 5.x to 6.x
did not do that. I imagine if you don't install via packages that won't
happen, but it is something to be aware of. The packages are community
maintained and they aren't always as rigorously tested as one might hope.

QH